The OSMO app system can be used by educators to ensure that students comprehend important vocabulary terms. I plan on utilizing the system, so that students will be able to understand vocabulary terms instead of just remembering them. To create a vocabulary game for the app system I created a profile and started linking my chosen key terms with images. I decided to create a vocabulary game for plant science regarding plant structure. I used twenty words including aerial, anther, pistil, pollen, primary root, secondary root, rhizome, simple leaf, compound leaf, Whorled, calyx, fibrous roots, Dicot, Monocot, drupe, node, pome, Stolon, Venation, and germination. imageThis will allow students to utilize an interactive studying game to link visual aids with vocab terms. However in the future I would also like to be able to utilize OSMO for higher order thinking.image

Within animal science classes alone there are many systems that students must be able to understand, like the digestive system, the nervous system, the circulatory system, the pulmonary system, etc. As educators, we must be encouraging students to use higher levels of thinking rather than simply recalling facts. Vocabulary definitions in the glossary of a textbook are easy for students to remember, so that they can identify key words and answer a multiple choice test correctly without truly understanding the concept. OSMO’s masterpiece app can help prevent this type of situation from occurring. I have uploaded a sketch of the cattle digestive system, so that students can trace out the system and identify where key vocabulary terms fit in the scheme of the cow.

image Students can trace out the system to better understand how the entire system works as well as defining the vocabulary terms. This process will allow students to better understand vocabulary terms by organizing the structure of the digestive system as well as outlining how each organ and vocabulary word plays a part in the whole system. This idea could also be used in all other agricultural content areas like plant science to discuss the parts of a plant or the makeup of a welding machine. However, students could also upload their own representation of a vocabulary word to create a vocabulary map graphic organizer. This could be present an accommodation to students who do normally feel comfortable in their ability to draw. The OSMO app system presents a wide variety of ways for educators to assess student comprehension of vocabulary terms through interactive projects. If an educator has a 1:1 system or funding to purchase the OSMO technology, it offers the capabilities to utilize multiple different learning modalities to reach students effectively. To view my earlier blog post reviewing the OSMO learning system click the link to OSMO in the Classroom.